[SDS] Auditions, Production Board, and More!

Elizabeth Lamb elamb at stevens.edu
Mon Sep 3 20:21:55 EDT 2012

Hello Everyone,

The time has come, auditions are here.  But, first things first, welcome
back everyone and welcome to all the new students on out mailing list!  I
would like to give you a few updates of the next bunch of scheduled
events.

This Wednesday is convocation, but more importantly, the Clubs Fair and our
first General Body Meeting (GBM).  At the Clubs Fair there will be free SDS
tattoos, a sign-up for audition slots, production board applications, and
most importantly, people to answer all your questions.  Please direct
anyone you may know who is also interested in theater or technical work to
our table, we are always looking for talented and dedicated members.
Additionally, that *Wednesday night at 9PM, the first GBM will be held in
the Edwin A Stevens Building in room 222*.  I have included a brief summary
of the planned agenda for the night below and more details below that.  If
you have an agenda item you would like to bring up please submit them
through email before 5PM on Wednesday to be considered.  Also, if for some
reason you must miss a GBM please email the alias before noon on the day of
the meeting to be excused, since meeting attendance determines voting
membership.

*General Body Agenda for 9-5-2012*

            *Fall Play Murdered to Death*

Welcoming Address, Declan Candela, President and Producer

Audition Information and Sign-Ups

*Goals for the Show*

Discuss goals established on 5-6-12 and reevaluate

*Assorted Fall Events*

                        Video Advertisement Project

                        Acting and Technical Workshops

                        *Rocky Horror Picture Show* - Shadow Cast

                        Musical Brainstorm Meeting (Near Thanksgiving)

            *Table Sitting Committee*
                        Discuss Benefits

*Audition Information*
*Auditions for Murdered to Death will be held this Thursday and Friday at
9PM until 11PM.*  They will be held conditionally in the DeBaun Auditorium
if it is not occupied with One Act rehearsals; otherwise a sign will be
posted that auditions will be held in E330.  For auditions it is
recommended that you sign-up in advance; however, walk-ins are also
welcome.  You may sign-up by emailing the Production Manager, Lauren
Harpst, for a time slot at lph4852 at gmail.com.  Because walk-ins are welcome
we ask you to please arrive 5 minutes before your time slot or we might
move on to the next available auditionee for the sake of efficiency.
Please note that regardless of the turn-out, everyone will be auditioned
and no one turned away. We suggest you wear business causal attire or 1930s
Period Dress if that "suits" your fancy.  Also be prepared to read sides of
the script and if possible prepare a short monologue, though it is not
required.  Head-shots and resumes are also welcomed, but also not
required.  Callbacks will be announced after all auditions have been
completed and will be held Saturday afternoon if needed.

*Production Board*
We are still accepting applications for the Production Board of the Fall
Play.  The deadline for these applications will be Friday 11PM, thus you
may bring your Pro-Board application with you when you come to audition for
the show.  We are looking for people to fill the positions of  Lighting
Designer, Master Electrician, Sound Designer, Set Designer, Master Artisan,
Master Carpenter, Costume and Make-Up Designer, Properties Manager, and
House Manager.  If you are interested in any of these fields please submit
an application or contact the Production Manager, Lauren Harpst.  Digital
copies of these applications can be found attached to this email and hard
copies will also be available to pick-up at the Clubs Fair and GBM.  These
applications can be submitted at the General Body Meeting, during SDS
office hours, at Auditions, or electronically to the alias.

*Goals*
Last spring goals were discussed for this Fall and Production.  The
Executive Board would like to reevaluate these goals and plan for the
upcoming show process.

*Video Advertisement Project
*We plan to make a video advertisement for the Society in a collaboration
project with SITTV after One Act Festival has been completed.  There will
be an opportunity to design a story board, write the screen-play, act in
the commercial, choose the soundtrack, and help edit the footage. The
Publicity Manager, Colin Gliech, will be orchestrating this project, so
please feel free to contact him though the alias about involvement.
*
Acting and Technical Workshops*

New this semester, the Stevens Dramatic Society is hosting Workshops to
further our education. These Workshop will be part of a series with others
to be announced shortly.  Currently, Dr. Bethany Reeves, Stevens professor
and choir director, has agreed to host an *Acting Workshop on
September 22 *held
in the Ondrick Music Room.  To follow are blurbs about the opportunities to
work with Dr. Reeves this semester.  There will also be a *Technical
workshop on September 29 focusing on Scenic and Lighting
Design*techniques, held by one of the three men who runs the DeBaun
Center for
Performing Arts, Carl Russell.

ACTING FUNDAMENTALS
> In this three-hour workshop, we will explore some of the most important
> foundations of the art of acting. Elements of the actor's craft including
> objectives & intentions, actions & tools, obstacles, stakes, and status
> will be addressed via participatory exercises, improvisation and
> discussion. A physical and vocal warm-up will be included in the session.
>
> PLAYING SHAKESPEARE
> For a series of five Thursday evenings (10/4 to 11/1) from 9:10 to 10:00
> pm, workshops on having fun with Shakespeare and his language will be
> given in the Music Room. These workshops can be taken for their own sake
> and/or as preparation for auditions for this year's Shakespeare project,
> "The Comedy of Errors." Auditions for "Comedy" are tentatively scheduled
> for December 11; performances will be on February 1 & 2.

*
*

*Rocky Horror Picture Show - Shadow Cast
*

Its nearly time to Audition for the *Rocky Horror Picture Show *- Shadow
Cast too.  Annually, the Stevens Dramatic Society sponsors a Shadow Cast of
the Movie, where the movie is played and actors in costume mime the movie
in front of the screen.  It is always a thrill to be a part of and everyone
who attends has a good time.  *Auditions for this show will be the 24th and
25th of September at 9PM and show nights are the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd of
November.*

*
*

*Musical Brainstorm Meeting (Near Thanksgiving)*
As the semester winds down after our Fall Play comes to a close we would
like to invite everyone to a Spring Musical Brainstorm.  We hosted a
similar event this this past Spring to determine our current Fall show and
though it went so well we would try it again.  The Executive Board will
like to discuss Goals for our Spring show and also Musical options based on
the talents of the society.  This* meeting will be held Saturday, November
17th in the afternoon*, so make sure you plan to stay in town until that
night before Thanksgiving Break.

Finally, I would like to thank everyone who attended the Meet&Greet this
past Saturday Night. The rest of the Executive Board and myself were happy
to see so many people come out on the long weekend.  Please let us know if
you would like to see more events like this sponsored by SDS.  As always we
encourage remarks, criticisms, and questions so please feel free to contact
us at the alias, SDS at stevens.edu and we will get back to you soon.  We want
to know if: "Well, that's tacky, that's really tacky!"

Best,
Liz

--
Elizabeth H. Lamb