[SDS] Announcing the Winter Cabaret

Kiera Dillon kdillon at stevens.edu
Mon Dec 31 18:25:58 EST 2018

Hi all,

I hope you are having a wonderful and relaxing holiday season! The Executive Board is excited to kick off our Spring 2019 semester with a brand new event!

This winter, SDS will be hosting our first annual Cabaret Night!!!

When? “SDS Winter Cabaret 2019: Miscast” will take place on Saturday, February 16th at 8pm. There will be with a MANDATORY rehearsal with our lovely Music Director, Marcus Baker, on Friday, February 15th at 8pm. Location TBD.

What? This will be an annual event to give people an opportunity to perform outside of the musical. This year’s theme is “miscast”. Men will perform songs traditionally sung by females, and vice versa.  Groups are also allowed (max 4 per song), but make sure you miscast every role!

How do I get involved? A signup form will be posted on the SDS DuckLink on Friday, January 11th @ 7pm. Keep an eye out for an email from Dan Cesare with the signup link. Only 12 acts will be accepted and it will be first come, first served. Please feel free to sign up in groups (max 4 per song) as it will get more people involved!

What do I need to signup? Have a list of 3 songs ready that you want to sing, the first being your first choice, the third being your last. Why? We want to have a nice variety of songs for the cabaret, and may ask you to switch if there are too many songs from the same show or any overlapping choices. Priority of song choice will be given in order of signups. Additionally, you MUST be available for both the rehearsal and the performance. If you are not, don’t bother signing up. Lastly, if you are signing up as a duet, trio, or group of 4, have only one person in the group fill out the form. (Be sure to pick the quickest typer in the group!)

Rules: These must be musical theatre songs. We are a theatre group. Songs must be no longer than 5 minutes to keep the show flowing. You must prepare the song on your own! Provide your own sheet music and be ready to sing it that Friday with Marcus. He will be there to play your music and give you some tips, but not to teach you the song. Songs should be memorized in order to make our show look well polished and professional.

We will be contacting the first 12 acts signed up by the end of Sunday, January 13th. (This date is subject to change depending on if we have enough signups).

The eboard is very much looking forward to this event and we hope you are too! As always, please feel free to reach out with any questions and keep an eye on your email for more information about the musical The Drowsy Chaperone, proboard applications, of first GBM of next semester, and more!

Happy New Year!
Kiera
--
Kiera Dillon