[SDS] Fwd: Acting Studies in the Fall Semester

Charles S Beall cbeall at stevens.edu
Wed Jul 15 15:15:18 EDT 2020

​Hello again!

I also am pleased to share some info about an acting class that DeBaun will be offering in the Fall! It will be taught by Dr. Bethany Reeves, whose email about the class I'm forwarding to you all. Apologies if you are on multiple lists and received this more than once!

Thanks, and all the best,
-Charlie

Charles Beall
Stevens Institute of Technology
B.S. Physics '23
Stevens Dramatic Society - Vice President
Original Message is below:

DeBaun Performing Arts Center

Acting Studies, Fall 2020

Dr. Bethany Reeves, Instructor

(Handout for 7/14/20 Theatre Meet-up via Zoom)

DeBaun PAC is the home of most theatre endeavors and activities at Stevens, and produces several projects per year under its own banner. In a normal year these include an annual Shakespeare project in the early spring semester (still planned for Jan/Feb 2021; auditions in November) and a summer season of one or two modern plays alongside a scene study class.

Measures taken by Stevens in response to the pandemic crisis have changed the parameters of our activities.

Our goal is to ensure that student advancement in the dramatic arts is not just possible this fall, but potentially vibrant, despite current challenges and limitations. Accordingly, we offer the following:

On-Camera Acting (no credit):

WEEK BEFORE CLASSES START: Initial Scheduling

  *   Stage 1, Weeks 1-2: Introduction to basic principles of acting on camera (via Zoom):
     *   Larger group(s)
     *   Times TBA (possibly via doodle poll).
     *   No acting experience required. We’ll dig into the basics as we go.
  *   Stage 2, Weeks 3-4: Assignment & coaching of monologues or scenes (via Zoom)
     *   Smaller groups, scheduling TBA
     *   Intensive coaching on material
  *   Stage 3, Weeks 5-6: Staging and filming (live, in DeBaun)
     *   Prerequisite to live rehearsal: complete memorization
     *   Smallest possible groups (i.e. scene partners)
     *   Stage with attention to camera needs and adherence to social distancing
           *   DeBaun staff Carl Russell & Shawna Cathey will lead tech
           *   GOAL: Film Round 1 of performances by end of day Saturday October 10.
           *   If we can get Round 2 pieces for some students started ahead of this date, great!
  *   Stage 4: Performances compiled and uploaded, location/parameters TBD

Stages 2-4 will be repeated for Round 2 in the second half of the semester, assuming continued student availability and interest.

In general, shorter monologues/scenes are likely to dominate Round 1, with longer pieces reserved for Round 2. Small-cast one-act plays will be among the literature considered for the second Round.

Dates and other parameters for Round 2 TBD.

Please write to Bethany Reeves at breeves at stevens.edu<mailto:breeves at stevens.edu> to indicate interest. I'll be contacting folks in the week before classes start to schedule initial sessions.

Dr. Bethany Reeves
Director, Stevens Choir & DeBaun PAC Voice Studio
Music Program Coordinator, DeBaun Performing Arts Center
Stage Director/Teacher, DeBaun Shakespeare & Summer Theatre Projects