[srcit_announce] SRCIT Downtime: 9pm Wed 12/21/2001 - 5am Thurs 12/22/2011

James Light jlight at srcit.stevens.edu
Fri Dec 16 17:21:46 EST 2011

The SRCIT System is currently experiencing a reduced operational capacity and
thus will be undergoing maintenance on the following date:

9pm Wednesday December 21st - 5am Thursday December 22nd 2011

During this time the following services will be unavailable:
    * Login to Linux hosts
    * Personal Websites (www.(srict|cs).stevens.edu/~.*)
    * User Home Directories and User Data
    * Shared project space
    * SSH key-based authentication
    * SVN repositories
    * Trac
    * srcit-experimental-mail email services

At the start of the downtime, all client machines will be rebooted and user
logins will be disabled until the end of the maintenance procedure. We thus
recommend that you log off the SRCIT system in advance of downtime commencement
so as to avoid any confusion and possible loss of your data.

This downtime was scheduled to
    * expand the space available on the root disk of our file server

As this downtime is urgent, please note that we can not delay this particular
downtime, however, normally we are always open to complaints and rescheduling
of downtimes. Currently we've had to reduce the logging level of the
fileserver to continue operation. Obviously this is not a situation that we'd
like to see continue for any longer than absolutely necessary as this could
compromise the functionality of the server if the root disk reaches full
capacity.

If there are any questions regarding this downtime, please email the
SRCIT team here: srcit at stevens.edu

If you are a student who has an assignment to complete during these hours we
suggest that you copy the data you need to a portable device and work on a
linux desktop machine that is not part of the SRCIT infrastructure for the
8-hour period listed above.

Thank you for your support and understanding. We're working to make the system
better and we apologise for the inconvenience.

     -SRCIT Staff