[SWE] K-12 Outreach opportunities

tvarjabe tvarjabe at stevens.edu
Sun Feb 23 08:00:17 EST 2014

Hi SWE,

For those of you interested in reaching out to young women in grades
K-12 to get them excited about engineering and science, here are some
upcoming opportunities!

1) On Friday March 7, there is an on campus recruitment day for female
high school juniors, called "Women in Science and Engineering Day."  SWE
has been asked to be available as guides or as needed throughout the
day.  We are looking to have at least 6 SWE volunteers. The event will
run from 9am-4pm, so half of the volunteers can be available for the
morning shift and the other half for the afternoon.

2) Also on Friday March 7, we will be going to a group of girl scouts in
Hoboken to do an engineering activity with them.  We are looking to have
at least 6 volunteers.  There are two groups: Juniors (9-10 yrs old; 18
girls) meet from 3:30 to 4:30pm and Daisies (6-7 yrs old; 26 girls) meet
from 4:30 to 5:30pm.

Please contact me (tvarjabe at stevens.edu) by Friday, February 28 if you
would like to volunteer at either or both of these events and please
indicate during which time slot/s.  Your help will be greatly
appreciated!

Also, please contact Angela Bauroth (abauroth at stevens.edu) if you are
interested in attending "World Thinking Day" on Friday February 28 from
3:30-5:30pm held by several troops of girl scouts at the Multi Service
Senior Center at 124 Grand Street. The event involves multicultural
booths, dances, songs, games and food presented by girl scouts.

Sincerely,

Talar Varjabedyan
SWE K-12 Outreach Committee Chair