[Themaintainers] OpenCollective offering employment options for maintainers (with health insurance/401(k))

Sumana Harihareswara sh at changeset.nyc
Wed Nov 24 12:03:13 EST 2021

Open Collective Foundation is a fiscal host that serves many
initiatives, including nearly three thousand open source software projects.

The Open Collective Foundation has just announced: "OCF now offers
employment options to initiative workers—with health insurance!" ...
"Initiatives fiscally hosted by OCF can have employees, with access to
benefits like health insurance. Costs related to employment are paid
from the initiative's budget, with OCF as the employer." And through the
OCF's benefits provider, employees can also opt into 401(k) retirement
savings plans.
https://docs.opencollective.foundation/what-we-offer/employment

This is such a huge step forward for open source sustainability, in
particular for projects with maintainers in the United States. I discuss
why in my new blog post
https://www.harihareswara.net/sumana/2021/11/24/0 . In order to explain
why (especially for a non-US audience), I summarize how strange and
deficient the US is in how we deal with healthcare and retirement-type
care for senior citizens, and how this is tied to employment.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Changeset Consulting