[Themaintainers] {Ideas for Varun} Themaintainers Digest, Vol 74, Issue 9

Varun Adibhatla varun.adibhatla at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 19:57:09 EDT 2022

Tim,
Thank you! This is a very abundantly imagined thesis!

As someone named after a vedic god of water & oceans, I'm compelled by
tradition and ancestry to confer god-like agency onto nature. A deeply
spiritual proposition.
To confer actual financial agency on nature, we need to take a hard look at
the neoliberal bias *against* nature.
That neoliberal calculus has led to desecrations such as
speculative financialization and the weaponization of well-intentioned
environmental laws
<https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/03/signature-environmental-law-hurts-housing/618264/>
.

Here's where I look to indigenous calculus. Some signals, maybe more out
there?

* - Jason Flores-Williams sued the state of Colorado and Gov. John
Hickenlooper   on behalf of the Colorado River and its ecosystem for
violating the river’s “right to exist, flourish, regenerate..."- "In
Ecuador, the constitution now declares
<https://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/29/ecuador-constitution-grants-nature-rights/?mcubz=3>
that
nature “has the right to exist, persist, maintain and regenerate its vital
cycles.”- In New Zealand, officials declared  that a river
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/16/new-zealand-river-granted-same-legal-rights-as-human-being>
used
by the Maori tribe of Whanganui in the North Island to be a legal person
that can sue if it is harmed.- A court in the northern Indian state of
Uttarakhand has called the Ganges
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/21/ganges-and-yamuna-rivers-granted-same-legal-rights-as-human-beings>
and
its main tributary, the Yamuna, to be living human entities." (via NYT
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/us/does-the-colorado-river-have-rights-a-lawsuit-seeks-to-declare-it-a-person.html>)*

*re: equity payback investment structures that align enterprise cash flows
with fiduciary minimums and fiduciary values, of a dignified future in a
prosperous present.*
Any examples that you could offer?
Outside of the Green Liberty Bonds by the CT green bank
<https://www.ctgreenbankbonds.com/connecticut-green-bank-ct/i6126> (debt
instruments), are there any equity instruments out there linked to a
dignified / prosperous future?

I've been thinking of ways to securitize early adoption of decarbonized
consumption.
The concept is simple / Carbon avoided today is more valuable than carbon
avoided later. and sets up incentive and payback mechanisms.
A household that purchases an EV today ought to be granted shares whose
value is linked to the Global Carbon Budget
<https://www.globalcarbonproject.org/carbonbudget/21/infographics.htm> that
estimates that *CO2 cuts of 1.4 Gigatons are needed every year to reach net
zero by 2050*

Lastly, Atmos Financial is a banking services platform where 100% of your
account balance is used to fund climate-positive infrastructure to
decarbonize the economy.

--
Thanks,
Varun