[Themaintainers] Why does the IRS need $80 billion? Just look at its cafeteria.

M. Scott Ford scott at corgibytes.com
Thu Aug 11 11:06:25 EDT 2022

I was staffed at IRS for about an 18-month period in 2005-2006. From my time working there, I can confidently say that the IRS doesn't waste money on purpose. A lot of the challenges that I saw there were the result of short-term thinking.

For example, I was working on a system that was being used by the folks who were responsible for answering questions when someone called on the phone. I shadowed one of those folks one day because I wanted to see the exact series of steps that was causing a bug to occur, one that I was having difficulty making happen on my own. While watching that person work, I noticed how much time and effort they were spending fighting the application's user interface. I came up with some ideas for how to fix these problems. I estimated that it would save the person about 1-2 minutes per call and a lot of frustration on the part of the person who was using the application. I was told by the government manager that oversaw my work that "the government isn't paying for things to be easy to use; as long as it works, that's good enough. Just fix the bug and move on to the next one."

That is just one concrete example. I hope that the culture has changed since then. And I hope that the folks who have ideas of ways to improve things are actually given the power and psychological safety they need to share their insights.

M. Scott Ford
Co-Founder & Chief Code Whisperer (CTO)
Corgibytes, LLC
804.596.2375 x701