[Themaintainers] Talk: An Eco Ethics for the End of the Anthropocene (Simon Penny) Thursday 8th December: Maintenance & Philosophy Technology SIG

mark young youngm54001 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 07:41:48 EST 2022

Dear all,

Hope this email finds everyone well. We’d like to share the zoom link for
the next session of the SPT Maintenance and Philosophy of Technology
special interest group on Thursday 8th December (1800-1915 UTC+1). In this
session, we're excited to welcome Simon Penny (UCI) who’ll be exploring the
theme of maintenance in relation to consumer culture, planned obsolescence
and waste, while drawing on his own experience as an artist, boat builder
and sculpter.

*If you would like to receive the link for this talk, email me at
mark at markthomasyoung.net <mark at markthomasyoung.net>*

Best,
Mark

*An eco-ethics for the end of the Anthropocene: Finding ethical and
sustainable paths through consumerism, disposability and planned
obsolescence*

Simon Penny (University California, Irvine)

Thursday 8th December (1800-1915 UTC+1)

*Abstract*: *This presentation will examine repair, repurposing and
recycling activities that are part of a general history of maintenance. It
will develop an eco-ethics of maintenance, from a starting point informed
by deep-ecology and environmental concerns, in order to provide a vantage
point from which to critique contemporary consumer economy and outline a
sustainable system of industrial products incorporating the possibility of
maintenance.*

(In order to avoid confusion regarding the timing of the talks - the
following table clarifies when the talks begin in different locations)
Amsterdam 6:00pm
London 5:00pm
Toronto (New York) 12:00pm
San Francisco 9:00am