[Themaintainers] Boston-area Maintainers: Invitation to a community repair event, Sat Dec 10

Jonathan Krones krones at bc.edu
Mon Dec 5 09:54:43 EST 2022

Dear Maintainers,

For those of you in the Boston area, I'm organizing a community repair
event in the Jamaica Plain neighborhood of Boston this Saturday, December
10, from 10-1 at the JP branch library. Community repair has been a topic
of conversation on this list in the past and I thought it would be
interesting to extend an invitation to anyone who wanted to come observe or
participate. This event is under the aegis of Peter Mui's Fixit Clinic (
www.fixitclinic.org), and you'd be very welcome to come volunteer as a
fixit coach (i.e., help others fix their stuff), or get help repairing an
item of your own. I'm happy to answer any questions you have. Otherwise,
event information is below, including links to pre-register or volunteer.

Hope to see some of you on Saturday.

Best wishes,
Jonathan

PS for some background, we held these clinics for a few years before
shutting them down due to the pandemic. This is our first one since and
while things will probably be a bit rusty, we're expecting it to be a good
event!

*Fixit Clinic DCCXCV (795) USA-MA-Boston Jamaica Plain Library*

Building resilient communities through conveying basic troubleshooting
skills and celebrating repair, Fixit Clinics are do-it-together hands-on
fix-n-learn community-based exploration and discovery workshops staffed by
volunteer Fixit Coaches who generously share their time, tools and
expertise to consult with you on the disassembly, troubleshooting, and
repair of items.

So bring your broken, non-functioning things -- electronic gadgets,
appliances, computers, toys, sewing machines, bicycles, fabric items,
etc.-- for assessment, disassembly, and possible repair. Fixit Coaches (and
helpful neighbors) will be available for consultation on broken items:
we'll provide workspace, specialty tools, and guidance to help you
disassemble and troubleshoot your item. Whether you fix it or not, you'll
learn more about how it was manufactured and how it worked, ready to share
your new-found confidence and insight with your friends, neighbors, and the
community at large. (Hopefully you’ll be inspired to become a Fixit Coach
yourself.)

- First-time Fixit Coaches and fixing families are always welcome; sign up
at http://bit.ly/inpersoncoachsignup
- Even if you can’t make it: report your broken item at
http://bit.ly/brokenitemreport
WHAT: Fixit Clinic DCCXCV (795) USA-MA-Boston Jamaica Plain Library
WHEN: Saturday, Dec 10, 2022 10AM to 1PM
WHERE: Jamaica Plain Library, 30 South St, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
HOW: Register at https://bit.ly/itemcheckin then
- Bring your broken item with all parts necessary to recreate the symptoms
(carry-in only: no oversize items)
- Bring any parts and tools you already own that might be helpful (e.g.
hand tools, sewing supplies)
- Come ready to describe what’s wrong and what you’ve tried
- Come ready to learn and to share your knowledge with others
WHO: All ages welcome: a family-friendly event: accompanied children are
heartily invited!
COST: Free!
WHY: To make friends, learn and teach how to fix things, and have fun!

More on Fixit Clinic at www.fixitclinic.org, www.facebook.com/FixitClinic/

*Jonathan S. Krones, PhD *(he/him)
Assistant Professor of the Practice | Department of Engineering | Boston
College
jonathan.krones at bc.edu | 301.788.4206