[Themaintainers] New paper: Financial Maintenance of Social Science Data Archives

Kalpana Shankar kalpana.shankar at ucd.ie
Thu Jun 16 08:35:28 EDT 2022

Hello maintainers:

My colleague Kristin Eschenfelder at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
and I have this (open access) paper out today: The financial maintenance of
social science data archives: Four case studies of long-term infrastructure
work

https://asistdl.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/asi.24691

In this paper, we trace how 4 social science data archives sustained their
products and services via the revenue sources they developed and
maintained. We argue that there has been a gap in understanding the
nitty-gritty of maintenance of knowledge infrastructures over time in favor
of the "new and shiny" - without enough attention to the long term.

Enjoy!
--
Kalpana Shankar (she/her)
Professor, School of Information and Communication Studies

kalpana.shankar at ucd.ie

Fellow, UCD Geary Institute for Public Policy
Co-Director, UCD Centre for Digital Policy
Co-Editor in Chief (with Professor Eugenia Siapera), *Online Information
Review*
PhD Coordinator