[Themaintainers] New book: Frankenstein and STEAM

Andrew Russell andy at themaintainers.org
Tue Mar 15 10:31:08 EDT 2022

Dear Maintainers -

Some good news: list member and all-around superstar Robin Hammerman has a new book out, an edited collected titled Frankenstein and STEAM: Essays for Charles E. Robinson, details available from https://www.rutgersuniversitypress.org/frankenstein-and-steam/9781644532522 <https://www.rutgersuniversitypress.org/frankenstein-and-steam/9781644532522>.

Robin’s excellent introduction (page 3) notes the importance of maintenance and repair:
"Essays in this volume elucidate the legacy of _Frankenstein_ in collective thinking about the kinds of stewardship humans elect to practice as self-appointed maintainers of humanity.” […]  "The Maintainers ... makes explicit in our time what Shelley observed on her own through the vehicle of fiction: that we feverishly inhale innovations in scientific thought and practice to the point of suffocation when we fail to mindfully consider the necessary maintenance and repair that happens afterward.”

Reasonably priced (at $29.95 for paperback and digital editions), and with some terrific writing on a wide variety of topics.  Please take a look and share where appropriate!

Andy

_____

Andrew L. Russell, Ph.D.
+ Dean, College of Arts & Sciences, SUNY Polytechnic Institute
+ Co-Director, The Maintainers <https://themaintainers.org/>
+ Co-Author, The Innovation Delusion: How Our Obsession with the New Has Disrupted the Work That Matters Most <https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/576816/the-innovation-delusion-by-lee-vinsel-and-andrew-l-russell/>