[Themaintainers] Event invite: a tech & labor teach-in, Oct. 19–21

Danny Spitzberg danny at peakagency.co
Tue Oct 4 19:13:43 EDT 2022

Dear Maintainers across the ages,

I'm writing to invite you to an upcoming teach-in, over a year in the
making.

On Oct. 19–21, a group of volunteers in the Tech Workers Coalition are
hosting our first intergenerational tech & labor teach-in. It's a mix of
roundtable discussions and skillshares, most featuring elders who have
organized many decades ago, including members of IBM Black Workers Alliance
<https://news.techworkerscoalition.org/2021/06/19/issue-13/>, Computer
People for Peace
<https://theoutline.com/post/4029/computer-people-for-peace-history>, Polaroid
workers against apartheid
<https://www.wgbh.org/news/local-news/2019/06/30/polaroid-worker-who-protested-companys-ties-to-apartheid-south-africa-reflects-on-wayfair-walkout>
, The Lucas Plan <http://lucasplan.org.uk/story-of-the-lucas-plan/>,
and workers
organizing at National Semiconductor
<https://truthout.org/articles/up-against-the-open-shop-the-hidden-story-of-silicon-valley-s-high-tech-workers-2/>
. This event is for people working in and around tech. It is free of
charge, and we've set up a mutual aid fund
<https://opencollective.com/twc-teachin> for those who need financial
assistance to take time off to attend – and for people with ability to
contribute to help fellow workers. We'll have a pre-event gathering and
opportunities to talk 1-on-1 with organizers beforehand, too.

See twcteachin.org for program and registration info. We’re recommending
people form small groups with friends and coworkers to attend together,
either the whole event or specific sessions.

Warmly,
Danny