[Themaintainers] CFP: Workshop Maintenance Philosophy Technology

mark young youngm54001 at gmail.com
Mon May 22 04:47:34 EDT 2023

*Maintaining Artifacts: Technology, Time and Practice*

University of Vienna

October 24th & 25th 2023

Maintenance and repair currently represents one of the fastest growing
topics in the philosophy of technology. Yet existing work has only
scratched the surface of the full range of epistemological, ontological and
ethical issues which emerge when we turn our attention to examining the
range of practices through which we sustain technologies over time. Far
from simply holding artifacts in stasis, recent studies emphasize the
capacity of maintenance to enable the development of technologies over time
invites contributions which explore philosophical reflections stemming from
analysis of the ways in which we guide and manage the passage of artifacts
through time. We welcome presentations that engage with the topic of
maintenance from any perspective within philosophy or related fields. Suggested
topics include (but are not limited to);

·       Maintenance of Automated Systems

·       Spare parts and Inventories

·       Maintenance and Care

·       Value Change and the Development of Systems over Time

·       Emergence in Engineering

·       Authenticity, Restoration and Cultural Heritage

·       Histories of Artifacts in Use

·       The Politics of Maintenance and Repair

·       Updating and Retrofitting

·       Planned Obsolescence and Environmental Ethics

·       Urban Metabolism and the Temporality of the Built Environment

The workshop will be held in conjunction with the Society for Philosophy of
Technology (SPT) special interest group “maintenance and philosophy of
technology” (https://www.spt.org/sig/) alongside a forthcoming special
issue of the journal *Techné**: Research in Philosophy and Technology* titled
“Technology over Time: Philosophical Perspectives on Maintenance”(
https://www.pdcnet.org/techne/Calls-for-Submissions).

The workshop is intended to provide an opportunity for those who want to
contribute to the growth of this topic, to present their work in an
informal setting and gain feedback. For this reason, we welcome
presentations in various stages of development, from ‘works in progress’ to
more polished pieces nearing completion. Selected presentations will be
invited to be submitted either to the special issue (please note that the
deadline has now been extended to January 15th 2024) or to a potential
edited volume.

In order to apply for the workshop, please send a title and abstract
(300-500 words) for your talk, accompanied by a short CV to
mark at markthomasyoung.net The deadline for applications is June 25th 2023 -
decisions will follow by the end of June. It is expected that funding will
be available to cover accommodation costs and a workshop dinner for all
accepted applications.

Enquiries concerning potential topics or scope are welcomed and should be
directed to mark at markthomasyoung.net

(This workshop will be held with the support of funding received from the
European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the
Marie Skłodowska-Curie Grant agreement: 897827)