[Themaintainers] Talk: Guru Madhavan "The Greatest Show on Earth: on Revaluing Maintenance" Thursday 12th October SIG Group Maintenance & Philosophy Technology

mark young youngm54001 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 14:02:46 EDT 2023

Dear all,

Hope this email finds everyone well. We’d like to announce the next session
of the Maintenance and Philosophy of Technology SIG on Thursday October
12th (1800-1915 UTC+1). In this session we’re very excited to welcome Guru
Madhavan, senior director of programs at the National Academy of
Engineering, who’ll be drawing on his background as a systems engineer to
question our cultural obsession with technological innovation by
underscoring the value of maintenance in the management of large
engineering projects.If you would like to receive a link for the talk,
please email me at: mark at markthomasyoung.net

Best,

Mark

*The Greatest Show on Earth: on Revaluing Maintenance*

Guru Madhavan (National Academy of Engineering)

Thursday 12th October (1800-1915 UTC+1)

*Abstract*: Dazzling technological innovations get all the attention but
engineering maintenance and care work are just as crucial and integral to
our survival and progress. Using examples from history and contemporary
culture, especially how we struggle to manage large engineering projects,
Guru Madhavan will reflect on how we think and speak about technological
innovation—in principle, practice, and philosophy—at the expense of activities
that keep our civilization running.

(In order to avoid confusion regarding the timing of the talks - the
following table clarifies when the talks begin in different locations)

Amsterdam 7:00pm
London 6:00pm
Toronto (New York) 1:00pm
San Francisco 10:00am

*Remaining Schedule for 2023*

November 9th 2023 (18-1915 UTC+1): Andy Russel (SUNY) & Lee Vinsel
(Virginia Tech)
“After Eight Years of the Maintainers”

December 14th 2023 (18-1915 UTC+1): Philip Scranton (Rutgers U)
“Spare Parts: Conceptualizing a Modern Problem

Mark Thomas Young
Postdoctoral Researcher
University of Vienna
https://univie.academia.edu/MarkThomasYoung