[Themaintainers] Talk: Repair as Accompaniment (Amy Meissner) SIG Maintenance Philosophy Technology Thurs 14th September (1800-1916 UTC+1)

mark young youngm54001 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 13:15:15 EDT 2023

Dear all,

We’d like to share the zoom link for the next session of the SPT
Maintenance and Philosophy of Technology special interest group on Thursday
14th of September (1800-1915 UTC+1). In this session we’re very excited to
welcome Amy Meissner, an artist, writer and repair practitioner based in
Alaska. She’ll be giving a talk based on her fantastic article “Repair as
Accompaniment” (link in abstract below) in which she’ll examine how as a
repair practitioner, she applies an ethic of care to the craft of repair,
based on ongoing research and anecdotal experience. If you'd like a link
for the talk, please send me an email at mark at markthomasyoung.net

Best

Mark

*Repair as Accompaniment: Applying an Ethic of Care to the Craft of Repair*

Amy Meissner

Thursday 14th September (1800-1915 UTC+1)

*Abstract*: This presentation applies an ethic of care to the craft of
repair, utilizing phases of care and ethical qualities developed by Joan
Tronto and Berenice Fisher. My place-based research into the craft of
repair in the Circumpolar North was conducted as a practicum project for
completion of an MA in Critical Craft Studies at Warren Wilson College
(’21), in which I guest edited the Anchorage Museum journal *Chatter Marks*,
issue 3, “The State of Repair.” (
https://repository.warren-wilson.edu/server/api/core/bitstreams/1dce60ac-2d3e-4650-affe-1715bd62f6b1/content
) My contributing essay, “Repair as Accompaniment,” (p. 15) applies
Tronto’s and Fisher’s ethics of attentiveness, responsibility, competence,
responsiveness and plurality/communication/trust/respect to the potential
repair of an inherited hand-woven rug with its own deep entanglement of
care and repair. In the writing, I apply a 6th ethic for consideration:
*accompaniment* – which I define as caring for and being cared for by a
vulnerable object through its period of transition. As a garment repair
practitioner, an artist with both a studio practice and social practice
fostering a repair culture within local communities of craft-based
learning, I refer to and rely on this ethical framework to provide a course
and a vocabulary for the practical, artistic, and socially engaged work I
do.

(In order to avoid confusion regarding the timing of the talks - the
following table clarifies when the talks begin in different locations)

Amsterdam 7:00pm
London 6:00pm
Toronto (New York) 1:00pm
San Francisco 10:00am

*Remaining Schedule for 2023*

October 12th 2023 (18-1915 UTC+1): Guru Madhavan (NASEM)
“The Greatest Show on Earth: Revaluing Maintenance”

November 9th 2023 (18-1915 UTC+1): Andy Russel (SUNY) & Lee Vinsel
(Virginia Tech)
“After Eight Years of the Maintainers”

December 14th 2023 (18-1915 UTC+1): Philip Scranton (Rutgers U)
“Spare Parts: Conceptualizing a Modern Problem