[Themaintainers] Maintenance of prior behaviour can enhance cultural selection

jsegoviamartin jsegoviamartin at protonmail.ch
Mon Feb 26 04:57:43 EST 2024

Hello everyone,

I discovered The Maintainers global research network recently through a podcast. I found the initiative very interesting, so I have signed up to this mailing list.
I would like to share with you a modelling paper I co-authored that might be of interest to some members of this community. The paper formalises a simple algorithm that shows how adopting behavioural maintenance strategies can confer an adaptive advantage over other strategies such as copying or innovation. For example, when a default strategy has to be adopted (e.g. there is no time to critically analyse the consequences of the strategy), innovations can lead to introducing maladaptations (we overwrite better-adapted variants with worse ones), while maintenance does not disrupt adaptation.

It is a theoretical model that formalises these ideas in an evolutionary framework. You can read the paper [here](https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-99340-7) if you're interested.

Best,
Jose Segovia Martin

Sent with [Proton Mail](https://proton.me/) secure email.