[AIChE] AIChE Regionals Conference

Palash Mehta pmehta8 at stevens.edu
Fri Feb 7 20:23:26 EST 2014

Hey everyone, this is Palash

So I have been receiving quite a few emails about accomodations and fees,
and I will try to clear this all up.

*What I will suggest is if you are interested in coming to the conference,
attend this meeting on Wednesday 9pm in McLean Basement PLEASE!!!*

We will NOT be taking a plane to Virginia, as it will be too expensive.
Instead, we will probably be driving - we might split the cost per car for
gas by each person.

*Hotel rooms:*
http://www.che.virginia.edu/aiche/logistics/

Currently, the faster we register for hotels, the better. Most possibly,
our Student Chapter should be able to foot the bill for the rooms (which go
from 100 - 150 per night for doubles). If we try to get 4 people into each
double, we can save a lot of money that way.

However, we have to book them by next week.

*Conference itself:*
http://www.eventzilla.net/web/event?eventid=2139003535

The main highlights of the conference include networking, poster
presentations, and Chem-e-car. For those of you that may not know,
Chem-e-car is essentially a competition of cars built on chemical reactions
(more information provided at the meeting). For students, the fee includes
all of this plus invitation to compete in ChemE Jeopardy or a research
competition. I am not sure how many sent in research papers/posters, but
what we can certainly do is compete in ChemE Jeopardy.

As far as I am concerned, this isn't a meeting where industry people give
lectures on how to run reactors or safety procedures - that meeting will be
taking place in Los Angeles at the same time (and those are like
$600/class). I believe this is more of a meeting of student chapters and
professors to build connections. So in the end the money will be well spent
- getting the Stevens name out. Note that 2 years ago, on April 14th 2012,
Stevens held a very similar regional conference (organized by our very own
Owen Jappen) and it was a HUGE success! The least we could do is have a
very strong presence of our chapter in the conference.

For every 5 people that come, the amount will come out to $270. Therefore
for 10 people the admission cost is $540.00.

Sorry for the relative brevity of the email for those who were looking for
more information. If you need any more clarification, please do not
hesistate to reach out to me, and I will get back to you promptly.

Yours truly,

Palash P. Mehta