[ConcertBand] DeBaun PAC fall program follow up and contact information

Carl T Russell crussell at stevens.edu
Wed Aug 26 19:53:53 EDT 2020

Stevens Performing Arts folks,

Below is a summary of what DeBaun Performing Arts Center is offering this fall, and the contact information for each project, to get more details and sign up. Welcome back, everyone!

It was great to see so many of you at Monday’s DeBaun PAC Fall 2020 announcement zoom, and for those of you who were unable to join us, I’ve posted the (approximately one hour) video to https://www.dropbox.com/s/yzlepr0ntlqjpsf/DeBaun%20PAC%20fall%202020%20announcement%20zoom.mp4?dl=0

Before I get to the specific programs, there are a few general notes about the fall semester:

  *   Because of our predominantly online student body, nearly all of our programming will be conducted remotely
  *   All are welcome in these programs; neither experience nor prior participation is required
  *   There will be no optional credit offered for our music ensembles
  *   Fees for voice lessons will be waived
  *   We are unfortunately unable to hire student workers
  *   Card swipe access to the Ondrick Music Room and DeBaun Auditorium will be temporarily removed
  *   If your instrument is currently in the Music Room and you would like to collect it, please email me <crussell at stevens.edu> to schedule a pick up
  *   For those of you residing on campus, it will be possible to reserve time in the Music Room or DeBaun Auditorium, between 11am and 7pm on Tue/Wed/Thu (Unfortunately, this does not include singing, wind or brass, for now). We’ll publicize the email address to schedule rehearsal time shortly.

MUSIC

Voice (Dr. Bethany Reeves <breeves at stevens.edu>)
Our actual choir is currently suspended, as no group singing is allowed on campus at this time. In its place, Bethany will be offering weekly virtual seminars. Voice Lessons will continue virtually and will be individually scheduled.

  *   Topics in Choral Music: Monday evenings, 7–8:30pm via zoom ~ A series of talks on topics of interest to choral singers, particularly history, repertoire, and styles (not to worry - no assignments)
  *   Topics in Singing: Thursday evenings, 7–8:30pm via zoom ~ A series of talks on topics in singing, particularly on the vocal instrument and singing techniques for various solo and ensemble genres (Broadway, pop, classical etc.) (also no assignments)

Stevens Orchestra (Steven Rochen <srochen at stevens.edu>)
The Stevens Orchestra will collaborate at weekly virtual rehearsals, typically Friday evenings, as a group and in smaller sectionals, culminating in a virtual orchestra recording. Workshops around orchestra technique and specific technique for different instrument families will also be offered. Music will be chosen and distributed based on the composition of the fall group. Depending on our instrumentation, we may divide up the ensemble more than usual, with separate pieces for winds, brass, and strings, in addition to a full orchestra piece. Steve would like to arrange a brief virtual interview (not an audition) for new and returning students, to overcome some of what we lose by not playing together in-person. We will schedule those appointments starting next week, once Steve is back in the neighborhood.

Jazz Band & Concert Band (Jerry Ficeto <gficeto at stevens.edu>)
The Stevens Bands will focus on smaller virtual ensembles and weekly sectional virtual rehearsals to allow real-time collaboration, and will include guest musicians and masterclass-style presentations from Jerry’s network of musicians. We’re currently evaluating several online collaboration tools. The bands typically meet Wednesday evenings (Jazz Band) and Sunday evenings (Concert Band), but may expand as needed to accommodate schedules.

President’s Ensemble (David Zimmerman <dzimmerm at stevens.edu>)
President’s Ensemble will continue virtually, adding new songs to their repertoire. Additional virtual pieces (like the Stand by Me recording) are possible if members are interested. Dave will organize a President’s Ensemble Cabaret, featuring alumni/students singing pieces rehearsed with and using piano tracks by Dave, then recorded and put together in video format. Auditions for new members will be held once we can sing again on campus.

THEATER

On-Camera Acting Class (Dr. Bethany Reeves <breeves at stevens.edu>)
Embracing the medium that is available to us for collaboration right now, Bethany will lead an ongoing virtual scene study workshop on the basics of acting for the camera. Several short plays are also being considered, towards some form of performance. Scheduling will be decided in consultation with class members. Please write to Bethany ASAP if interested.

Shakespeare Project (Dr. Bethany Reeves <breeves at stevens.edu>)
Our annual Shakespeare production is being planned now and will spring into action in the early spring semester after late fall auditions. Depending on the situation at Stevens, the play (tbd) will either be rehearsed and performed through fully-online means, or filmed in an in-person, socially-distanced manner in DeBaun.

View from Backstage (Shawna Hawkins <scathey at stevens.edu>)
Shawna will be coordinating the assembly of a comedic short play, performed remotely, about what really happens behind the scenes of a theater production. A mix of inner monologues and real-time reactions of the cast and crew as they encounter the craziness that can happen on any given production night (i.e. quick changes, forgotten lines, late entrances and cues, forgotten props, etc.). Basically, the cast and crew acting out a high-tension performance night with everybody’s piece of the story there to see in real time. Student actors and technical crew will be encouraged to contribute their most harrowing theater stories to the project.

Voices from the Past (David Zimmerman <dzimmerm at stevens.edu>)
Beginning this fall, to be presented at Founder’s Day in the spring, Stevens oral histories will be turned into monologues, presented by student actors and filmed. Combined with pictures from the Stevens archives, the goal will be to relate the experiences of past Stevens students to our current cohort. Participation in the writing, acting and editing would be greatly appreciated.

Technical Theater (Shawna Hawkins <scathey at stevens.edu>)
Shawna will present a series of introductory virtual seminars covering aspects of theatrical lighting, from systems and instruments to programming and principles of lighting design. Alumni and current theater students will also be encouraged to share their wide range of technical theater expertise in this series. This series is geared toward anyone who would like to know more about the backstage side of theater. Anyone in the arts might benefit from a better understanding of how the technical aspects support a show.

Freshmen Open Mic Night (David Zimmerman <dzimmerm at stevens.edu>)
Freshman performers will remotely record short performances (song, dance, play, reading, etc.) and the results will be compiled into a virtual performance, hosted live online by Linda Vollkommer and David. Submission deadline is Labor Day, 7 September, with the live event later in the month.

Theta Alpha Phi Open Mic Night (David Zimmerman <dzimmerm at stevens.edu>)
This will feature Stevens theater alumni as well as students, and follow a similar framework to the Freshmen Open Mic Night.

If you have any questions not specific to a particular program, please contact me directly at <crussell at stevens.edu>

Regards,
Carl

Carl Russell