[cs615asa] hw4

Jan Schaumann jschauma at cs.stevens.edu
Mon May 4 21:39:29 EDT 2009

Sean Winard <swinard at stevens.edu> wrote:

> Just having some trouble actually generating an RSA key in gpg on the
> lab machines.  I get all the way through the menu to where it's trying
> to generate the key and needs random input (usually ~300bytes), and then
> it just stays there.  I've tried typing stuff for about 2 minutes to
> 'increase entropy' but still nothing.

A few ways to increase entropy on a system:

- do file I/O:
  - copy large files from one partition to another
  - crawl the directory hierarchy, for example via find
- do network I/O:
  - copy large files from one host to this host
- user input
  - move the mouse (if you're connected to the actual host in question)
  - type on the keyboard

You should be able to find other suggestions by searching the internet
for the specific error message you encountered.