[cs615asa] HW 4 Question

Jan Schaumann jschauma at cs.stevens.edu
Mon Apr 26 13:10:03 EDT 2010

Sayre Blades <sblades at stevens.edu> wrote:

> Now that I re-read that sentence it sounds to me like it should mean the
> users that are actually being synced.

Correct.

>  As in the script is trying to assist
> the users in logging into their respective accounts.  The only thought I had
> on that is generally the .ssh directories are read and execute protected
> from others.  So unless the root account is running this script, the script
> wont find many aws.pub files.

Not necessarily.  There's nothing wrong with opening up one's ~/.ssh
directory for access by others.  For example, one could set the
permissions to be:

~ => 0711
~/.ssh => 0711
~/.ssh/aws.pub => 0444

This would allow anybody to retrieve the public key in question (it's a
_public_ key, after all), yet not to browse other files (no read access
on the directories).  Private files shouldn't have world-read access
anyway, so no harm done by allowing exec perms on the directories.

Try:

ls ~jschauma
ls -ld ~jschauma
ls -ld ~jschauma/.ssh
ls -l ~jschauma/.ssh/aws.pub

Your program would then simply test for the readability of a file
~user/.ssh/aws.pub -- if it's not readable (regardless of whether or not
it's due to directory permissions, file permissions or the file not
actually existing), move on.