[cs615asa] Verify Backup

Jan Schaumann jschauma at cs.stevens.edu
Thu Apr 28 13:44:25 EDT 2011

Ravi Wadhwa <rwadhwa at stevens.edu> wrote:

> I have done the dd on /dev/sdh which is the name of device that I have
> attached to the instance
> When I try to access it using cd /dev/sdh on the remote instance it throws
> an error stating that it is not a directory.

Which is correct.  It's a device.  You'd have to mount the device if it
had a filesystem on it to be able to 'cd' into it.  But since you're
using dd(1) to write the data to the device that won't work -- there is
no filesystem on the device in question.

You'd simply restore the data by doing the reverse of what you do to
write the data to the device.