[cs615asa] Linux pkgsrc guide?

Rob Williams rwillia2 at stevens.edu
Thu Feb 9 13:34:30 EST 2012

Hi Professor/classmates,

Has anyone found a decent guide for Linux pkgsrc usage? It appears to
me that there are no binaries (at least not on the official NetBSD FTP
server) for Linux, and some Google led to a similar conclusion.
Therefore, I've been downloading pkgsrc, bootstrapping, then using the
local scripts to compile the software using 'bmake install' in the
appropriate directory (e.g. lang/gcc). This compilation from source
has worked fine for the basic programs like gnupg and sipcalc, but gcc
and Python are giving me serious issues on both Fedora and Ubuntu. I
get a compile error, Google it, apply some patches, then get a little
further only to get another error. It's like a game of whack-a-mole...
It seems like there has got to be a better way. Any advice would be
appreciated!

Thanks,
Rob