[cs615asa] Linux pkgsrc guide?

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Thu Feb 9 13:38:28 EST 2012

Rob Williams <rwillia2 at stevens.edu> wrote:

> Has anyone found a decent guide for Linux pkgsrc usage? It appears to
> me that there are no binaries (at least not on the official NetBSD FTP
> server) for Linux, and some Google led to a similar conclusion.
> Therefore, I've been downloading pkgsrc, bootstrapping, then using the
> local scripts to compile the software using 'bmake install' in the
> appropriate directory (e.g. lang/gcc).

That is the correct way.  You are building/installing packages using
this source-based package management system.  Finding out what things
are not working and fixing them as best you can are part of the
exercise.

(Using pkgsrc to install binary packages are covered under the "Build
binary packages and deploy them on another instance" part.)