[cs615asa] HW2

Avineshwar Singh asingh16 at stevens.edu
Fri Feb 12 02:42:14 EST 2016

Dear Professor,

My latest work update is I'm able to do the job of accessing files across
instances, like between 2 NetBSDs (ffs fs) or 2 Fedoras (ext fs) or
2 OmniOSes (ufs/zfs fs) or 2 Amazon Linux distros (ext fs). Is this a
fine work? because I construed this as a 'to-do' work for assignment 2.

I'm not sure whether it is even possible to mount the volume which is
having one fs to another instance which works on a different fs; although
mount command can be used to mount fs of different types. Even if I proceed
in the direction of mounting a volume (with A fs, with a file from instance
A) to an instance B which works with B fs, fsck simply doesn't seem to
detect that volume's fs, seemingly as if it doesn't know how to deal with
it (unless provided with some support packages which I've never
used). It just doesn't seem to work between two instances of different
types (unless the fs is same on both of them) and there is no help in this
direction assuming it is achievable.

I'm still trying to achieve that though, maybe someone never felt the
need for doing that on Amazon EC2, because it can't be so difficult in real
world situations considering we have bare hard disks in our hands or if we
are using some fs after a mutual agreement.

On 8 February 2016 at 22:08, Jan Schaumann <jschauma at stevens.edu> wrote:

> https://www.cs.stevens.edu/~jschauma/615/s16-hw2.html

Student,
Avineshwar Pratap Singh,