[cs615asa] Lecture Summary: Robust and Resilient Communication and Computation at the Edge

Yifang Yuan yyuan17 at stevens.edu
Sun Apr 15 23:38:38 EDT 2018

Date: Thursday, April 5, 2018

Lecturer:Hulya Seferoglu

The lecture is about how to guarantee the wireless network stability and improve the performance in mass terminals environment. Booming edge devices(mobile phone, IoT, smart device etc) enable plethora of applications. It makes wireless communication more complex. I think increasing number and diversity of edge devices is also a problem for system administration. So I choose this topic.

The lecture is made by Hulya Seferoglu. She is an Assistant Professor in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department of University of Illinois at Chicago. Her research interests are in the area of networking: design, analysis, and optimization of network protocols and algorithms.

She introduced several algorithms such as Computation Control Protocol (CCP), Energy-Aware Cooperative Computation(PrComp), Energy-Aware Cooperative Computation(EaCC), Application-Aware Cooperative Time(AACT) to optimize the communication. I was impressed by CCP and EaCC.

CCP works in cooperative computation of IoT which means computationally task is processed by main device and other neighbor devices. CCP provides a way to find the good helper. It based on Automatic Repeat reQuest (ARQ) mechanism. Allocated the sub-task by the time difference between send out and ACK message. It also considers heterogeneous computing power and energy resources of IoT devices. The resource utilization is higher than 99% and task completion delay is improved 30% by CCP.

EaCC is another kind of cooperation. It provides a set of algorithms including flow, computation, energy control to find “helper” and determine cooperation way. They set a group of mobile devices within proximity of each other. These devices were connected by cellular or Wi-Fi and also exploit Wi-Fi direct for helper by EaCC. The communication performance of EaCC is 66% better than no helper case.

The lecture enlightens me that the terminal can cooperate with each other. It may be hard to apply on cellphone, but can bring significant performance benefits for fixed application terminal such as wireless camera, IoT etc.

Yifang