[cs631apue] Final Project URI question

jphillip jphillip at stevens.edu
Fri Dec 14 22:32:57 EST 2012

Hi Professor,

Is it acceptable for our web server to assume that if the URI begins
with a / that it is an absolute path in the file system starting at the
root of the file system?  For example if the URI being passed were
/some/path/to/file should we check if /some/path/to/file is in the
document root? The alternative is to assume that every uri given is
intended to reference a resource in the document root and essentially
prepend document root to every URI.  In this case the server would check
if /doc/root/some/path/to/file existed and send that.  I'm just not sure
which is correct.

Thanks,
Justin