[cs631apue] POST

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Sat Dec 15 18:16:53 EST 2012

Chao Cui <ccui1 at stevens.edu> wrote:

> What kind of file will allow the POST method except the CGIs?

Anything that accepts and processes input.  That may be a php script
executed in the server's context, a java servlet, or any other dynamic
web application.

> What I have tried is execve("path/to/post.cgi", "postdata I got from form",
> env).

That gives the postdata you received as the first element of the argv
vector.  Note how post.cgi does not process any arguments, but reads
data from stdin: you need to write the data into this processes's stdin.

I'm pretty sure the CGI specification says as much, too.