[cs631apue] Setproctitle not available on Linux Lab

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Sat Dec 7 10:14:18 EST 2013

Tejas Nadkarni <tnadkarn at stevens.edu> wrote:
> There's no man page for it and I can't get it to compile using it. I see
> the other option is manipulating argv but I'm not clear what exactly that
> means? Just need some guidance on that.

When you run a program

./aed -e -s salt -p passphrase

this entire line will be seen in the process table.  That is
undesirable, since anybody running ps(1) can now see your password.  So
you want to change the string that is entered into the process table
from

./aed -e -s salt -p passphrase

./aed -e -s salt -p **********

So you would need to change the contents of the buffer pointed to by
argv[5].