[cs631apue] Questions about clean zombie children processes

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Sat Nov 2 13:35:45 EDT 2013

yluo4 <yluo4 at stevens.edu> wrote:

>   I don't think we need to handle the zombies.

To be clear: your program must not cause the creation of any zombies.
As any well-behaved program, it will reap all of its children and not
let the process table get filled up with any zombies.

Remember: your program is designed to run continously for months or
years.  If you do not reap your child processes, you will eventually
fill the entire process table and render the daemon itself (if not the
entire system) useless.