[cs631apue] Sorting

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Mon Oct 19 09:10:08 EDT 2015

Dominik Jedruszczak <djedrusz at stevens.edu> wrote:
> I have a few questions regarding the sorting methods:

Check whether or not the manual page makes an explicit statement about
the the effect of combining these flags.  Then compare to the reference
implementation - how does that behave?

> 1.) Does -t have to be enabled for -c or -u to do anything?

Compare the output of

ls
ls -c
ls
ls -u
ls
ls -t

> 2.) Do -S and -f override -c, -u, and -t?

In general, conflicting flags override each other in the order given.
Compare what the system provided ls(1) does.

> 3.) Which options affect sorting the operands? Just -f and -r?

Reading the manual page, I'm identifying the following flags as
affecting sorting:

-c
-f
-r