[cs631apue] Understanding/confirming ls functionality

Elliot Wasem ewasem at stevens.edu
Sat Sep 21 14:27:24 EDT 2019

Hey Prof.,

I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly before I try to implement something stupid.
When you tell ls to list recursively (-R), it happily does so. However, is it the case that when we reach a symlink to a directory, we do not recursively search that symlink-targeted directory? And that (unless -d is specified) we just list that target directory as you would a non-directory file (apart from the permission/mode string indicating that it's a direcotry)?
Additionally, am I right in saying that it is not possible to hard link a directory, and only a non-directory file?
Thanks,
Elliot Wasem
https://elliotwasem.xyz (https://link.getmailspring.com/link/DA6308D3-8B8D-4EAF-A41A-73F29B18BCBF@getmailspring.com/0?redirect=https%3A%2F%2Felliotwasem.xyz&recipient=Y3M2MzFhcHVlQGxpc3RzLnN0ZXZlbnMuZWR1)