[FAST] Mailing List

Isagani D. Puertollano ipuertol at stevens.edu
Sat Jun 7 22:07:45 EDT 2008

Hi FAST,

I guess I need to explain a couple things.  FAST employs two email
distribution lists.  The first is the fast at stevens.edu address.  Any email
sent to this address will be distributed to all the officers (Executive and
Minor Boards) of FAST.  The second address is the fast_gb at lists.stevens.edu.
Emails sent to this address will be sent to all members of its subscription
list.  This list typically includes all individuals who are members of FAST.
On top of that, anyone else is free to join this mailing list.  This means
that there will be people who will receive emails from
fast_gb at lists.stevens.edu who you may not expect.  We typically use the
fast at stevens.edu address to contact our officers in case we need to inform
them something - cool stuff.  Like for example, if you hear that Rex
Navarrete is performing in NYC this Fall and that it would be a great idea
to see it, it would be a good idea to make that sort of suggested addressed
to the fast at stevens.edu address.  The fast_gb at lists.stevens.edu address on
the other hand is typically used to inform the general body of, for the lack
of a better word, important stuff.  This typically ranges from announcements
when meetings and events are, reminders for various items, and as I've been
using it recently - volunteers for FAST activities.

In the past couple months it's been turning into an ugly habit that we have
been using the fast_gb list, either on purpose or accident, to send out
messages that are otherwise considered inappropriate or out of place for the
fast_gb distribution list (not pointing fingers).  This results in a few bad
things.

First, everyone will be getting spam.  People's mailboxes get cluttered and
may stop reading FAST messages because they'll think its spam.  Next,
because ANYONE (you'd be surprised who) can subscribe to the fast_gb list,
you will need to use discretion in what you write or you may unknowingly
insult someone. With this in mind, anything one of us writes to the fast_gb
list can be interpreted as the opinion of our entire organization, despite
how insane or improper it may seem.  Some things that can be intended as a
joke can be misinterpreted as an insult - and then things turn dirty.
Totally not fun.

I'd like to think you guys aren't doing it out of malice (that's
ridiculous!), but really, we don't need to see this kind of thing, and I'd
appreciate it so much if everyone were to begin using discretion in how
you're sending emails with regard to the gb_list.

*	In particular, as a rule of thumb, please only use the
fast_gb at lists.stevens.edu address if you have a message you feel is
important for everyone in FAST to receive.  Please do not send the fast_gb
list emails that are inappropriate or out of place for business regarding
FAST.

*	Also - if you are responding to a message delivered by the fast_gb
list, please make sure you are NOT including the fast_gb list in your
response unless your response is essential for the entire general body to
read.

I would like to ask everyone to please try to keep these points in mind in
the future.

Very best regards!

- Izzy

Isagani D. Puertollano