[FAST] Apology

Isagani D. Puertollano ipuertol at stevens.edu
Wed May 14 12:59:49 EDT 2008

Hi Guys,

It's come to my attention that the previous email I sent out contained
language that may be interpreted as offensive and degrading.  In
particular, it is when I wrote, "You don’t need black hair, brown skin,
Chinese eyes or even buck teeth..."

I would like to take a moment to apologize to anyone who may be
offended by such a comment.  I accept full responsibility for my poor
actions.  I am deeply sorry for any insult that I may have caused to
anyone.  These comments do not reflect my opinion of how I view the
Filipino culture.  In fact, as the child of immigrant parents, I find
value in learning more about the culture and history we left home.

My intention with that last paragraph was to help reassure those who do
not share the Filipino heritage that they are just as welcome to
participate in this year's parade just as much as those who do.
However, I obviously chose the wrong method to do this.  In retrospect,
it would have been much better to simply state that being different
doesn't matter and that everyone is welcome - rather than use
references to stereotypes.

Again, I am sorry for any insult and misunderstanding I have caused on
my part.  I hope you all find it in your hearts to look past my
thoughtless mistake and forgive me.

Best Regards,
Izzy

Isagani Puertollano