[genderstudies] Fwd: [Cal_majors] CAL Creative Writing Contest

Cgrilo cgrilo at stevens.edu
Fri Mar 1 12:08:01 EST 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Julie Farrell <jfarrell at stevens.edu>
Date: Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Subject: [Cal_majors] CAL Creative Writing Contest
To: CAL_majors at lists.stevens.edu
Cc: Billy Middleton <bmiddlet at stevens.edu>

We are now accepting entries for the 2013 College of Arts and Letters
Award in Poetry and Prose. For the CAL Award in Poetry, entrants may
submit up to 3 of their best poems, up to 5 pages total. We are
interested in poems of any style, traditional or experimental. For the
CAL Award in Prose, we are interested in both fiction and creative
nonfiction. Students should submit their best single story or essay,
up to 5000 words in length. For nonfiction entries, we are not looking
for an academic paper you wrote for class, but rather an interesting
creative essay related to a subject of interest to you or a compelling
work of memoir. For fiction, we are more interested in what is
commonly referred to as “literary” fiction rather than genre fiction,
though some great literary fiction certainly has science fiction or
fantastical elements to it. Think Kurt Vonnegut or Gabriel García
Márquez.

Contest winners in each category will be published in an upcoming
issue of Redshift, Stevens’ very own student-run literary magazine and
will have a chance to read their works at a ceremony at the end of the
semester. First prize in each category will also receive a $50 Barnes
and Noble gift card, while second prize in each category will receive
a $25 gift card.

Deadline for submissions is April 5, 2013.

Guidelines for Submission:

You may submit in each category, but only one submission (or, for
poetry, one set of submissions) per category.
3 poems of no more than 5 pages total length; 5000 words of fiction or
creative nonfiction.
The contest will be judged blindly, so please attach (staple or paper
clip) a separate cover sheet with your name and contact information,
but leave any identifying information off the entries themselves.
Only previously unpublished work will be considered.
You must be a student at Stevens Institute of Technology to be
eligible, though the contest is open to any individual from any
department.
Contest entries may be submitted by hard copy to Professor Middleton’s
mailbox in Pierce 308.

--
Julie Farrell, Ph.D.
College of Arts and Letters
jfarrell at stevens.edu

Chris Grilo, M.S.
Coord., Writing and Communications Center
College of Arts and Letters, Stevens Institute of Technology