[MassSpecGroup] Orbitrab VS QTOF

Chan, Chang-Ching chang-ching.chan at bms.com
Tue Apr 20 11:39:57 EDT 2010

Najeh,

Just wanted to clarify, you are comparing Orbitrap and QTOf and not Orbitrap vs Synapt (IMS), right? Anyways, I am no expert on both instruments. However, with my limited experience, I thought  the Orbitrap is better than QToF;
1. Mass accuracy of 3 ppm on Orbitrap without reference material is easily achievable (even for small molecules 200-300 u). One would need reference spray material for mass correction to achieve that in QToF.
2. You could easily switch between the analyzers (LTQ to orbitrap and vice versa) which I thought was useful for scouting experiments.

Disadvantage of Orbitrap;
1. I thought the Orbitrap was more expensive than QTof (~50% more). Consider Synapt if you can afford Orbitrap.
2. Personally, I prefer Waters software, more user friendly.

Moral of the story, I don't think there will be a bad decision if you choose one over the other. Both instruments are robust and are the current benchmark for accurate mass measurements.

ChangChing