[MSA] Islamic Relief Fundraising

Waqar Khokhar wkhokhar at stevens.edu
Wed Sep 29 12:43:01 EDT 2010

Assalamu Alaikum All,

Firstly, I pray that everyone has had a prosperous first month of the
semester.  InshAllah, we are almost half way done.

I'm writing to announce that Islamic Relief is teaming up with MSA-United to
hold a fundraising concert for impoverished children around the world
(Officially billed as *Islamic Relief USA & MSA-United Presents the 5th
annual Evening of Inspiration - A benefit concert for children around the
world*). MashAllah, IR holds an event like this annually but this is the
first year MSAs are involved.  Consequently, this produces an excellent
opportunity for Stevens MSA to get involved and help make a difference.
Fortunately, there are a number of ways we can help:

   - MSA United wants to create a video montage of the MSAs involved in this
   event doing on-campus fundraising.  The prime idea suggested was to do a
   simple 1-dollar-drive, where people go around campus with a box and and ask
   people to donate a single dollar to help children around the world.  This
   sounds like a pretty fresh idea that could raise a lot of money.  Of course,
   there'd be a video camera following the fundraising.  I'd be very interested
   in doing this, but I need a handful of volunteers to help out.  *If
   you're interested in doing this, please email me ASAP.*
   - If anyone is interested in actually attending the concert (it's gonna
   be good, Sweden's MAHER ZAIN and the Washington DC based NATIVE DEEN will be
   there), please let me know.  I need a solid number of attendees before
   ordering tickets.  Just shoot me an email, and I'll tell you the ticket
   price, etc.  Apropos, the event will take place on Saturday October 30th, in
   Raway, NJ.
   - If you would like to volunteer your help AT the event itself (lots of
   logistics need to be taken care of: handling the doors, dealing with guests,
   etc), please let me know as well.  I'll most likely be there, but I need a
   few more people with me to represent Stevens.

InshAllah, this is a great opportunity to strengthen your Iman by
contributing to your Ummah.  The following Hadith comes to mind:

*The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: "Every Muslim has to give in
> charity." The people then asked: "(But what) if someone has nothing to give,
> what should he do?" The Prophet replied: "He should work with his hands and
> benefit himself and also give in charity (from what he earns)." The people
> further asked: "If he cannot find even that?" He replied: "He should help
> the needy who appeal for help." Then the people asked: "If he cannot do
> (even) that?" The Prophet said finally: "Then he should perform good deeds
> and keep away from evil deeds, and that will be regarded as charitable
> deeds." - Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 2, Hadith 524*

It's ultimately up to you how much you want to make of this opportunity.  If
you have any questions about anything outlined above, feel free to let me
know.

Jazakullah,
Waqar Khokhar