[Themaintainers] Berlin infrastructure found - thank you!

Marguerite Avery mavery at amherst.edu
Wed Oct 5 08:00:46 EDT 2016

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your suggestions and recommendations.
Here’s a summary of suggestions combined with my original short list divided quickly in categories that should not be considered permanent or even useful. (names listed as functioning URL represent the official site.) And I will credit everyone on this final list.

Thanks!

Margy

Cold War places

 - Tempelhof
 http://www.abandonedberlin.com/2015/03/tempelhof-mother-of-all-airports.html

 -  Teufelsberg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teufelsberg

 - Berlin Wall
http://www.berliner-mauer-gedenkstaette.de/en/
+and you can walk it east all the way over to Schwedter Strase

 - Brandenburg Gate<http://www.berlin.de/en/attractions-and-sights/3560266-3104052-brandenburg-gate.en.html>
 - the original imbiss!<http://konnopke-imbiss.de/Home.html>

 repurposed industrial buildings

 Radialsystem V<http://10jahreradialsystem.mcqdev.de>  crazy Flash site – be warned!

Arena , home to the Badeschiff<http://www.arena.berlin/veranstaltungsort/badeschiff/>!

Kulturbrauerei<http://www.kulturbrauerei.de> – large brewery operational from 1870s- 1967; repurposed in 1999 as mixed use performance space

Berghain<http://berghain.de/>  (has a loud soundtrack – beware if you open in a quiet space like a monastery
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berghain

Kraftwerk <http://www.kraftwerkberlin.de/>

City services
 defunct U-Bahn stations
http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/inside-the-forgotten-ghost-stations-of-a-once-divided-berlin
And a shout-out to the Maintainers via Roger Turner:  "Because a vital part of West Berlin's transit network lay in East Berlin territory, maintenance work on the tracks and tunnels was a logistical, not to mention safety, nightmare. If a Western train broke down in East Berlin territory, passengers would need to wait for Eastern border police to appear and escort them out."

Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe (BVG) and Berliner Stadtreinigung (BSR). BVG is the public transit provider of the city and they have several depots, service stations etc. BSR are the communal waste collection company with services ranging from collecting house garbage, over the orange city trash bins, to recycling centres where citizens can drop off larger waste for recycling. I find both are equally very visible – BVG with their yellow logo and signs, BSR with everything in orange – and yet so often as with other public infrastructure completely ignored. Says Yana Boneva

General maps

http://www.abandonedberlin.com/