[Themaintainers] desperately seeking Berlin infrastructure recommendations

Roger Turner roger_d_turner at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 4 16:15:39 EDT 2016

I'm not sure if the exhibit is still running, but a couple of years ago the Nordbahnhof station had an exhibit on the U-Bahn's  "Ghost Stations" that were abandoned when the city was divided.  There's more on them in this nice Atlas Obscura article:

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/inside-the-forgotten-ghost-stations-of-a-once-divided-berlin

Also, that article has a lovely tidbit about maintenance:

"Because a vital part of West Berlin's transit network lay in East Berlin territory, maintenance work on the tracks and tunnels was a logistical, not to mention safety, nightmare. If a Western train broke down in East Berlin territory, passengers would need to wait for Eastern border police to appear and escort them out."

--Roger Turner