[Themaintainers] NYT Article

Lee Vinsel lee.vinsel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 12:20:21 EDT 2017

Thanks, Jacqueline and Michael.

Yes, Cyd Harrell's thread is really interesting and right on, I thought.

To focus on one topic she raises, Andy Russell and I have been thinking a
lot about how Maintainers-type topics connect to the work of William
Lazonick. For years, Lazonick has been warning about the effect of
financializing corporations, and particularly the deleterious role of stock
buybacks and other post-1980s instruments, focused on "shareholder value,"
that allow executives to take value out of firms without really generating
new value. (Here's Lazonick's great article, Profits without Prosperity
<https://hbr.org/2014/09/profits-without-prosperity>) Capital stock and
maintenance have suffered during this period in the private sector. The
attached graph shows that the average age of private fixed assets has gone
up precisely during this period. As Cyd Harrell suggests, in some contexts
at least, caretaking and stewardship have been actively devalued in our
current system. (See also Wolfgang Streeck's book, _How Will Capitalism
End?_)

Very best,

Lee