[Themaintainers] NYT Article

Bernardo Batiz-Lazo b.batiz-lazo at bangor.ac.uk
Tue Jul 25 03:13:28 EDT 2017

Lee -

Let me disagree a little bit with your post.

In my view, Bill Laconick is not the author of the concept of “financialization". For me, Lazonicks work is, as you also suggest, along the lines of corporate governance.

It is Karel Williams and other people at the former CRESC at Manchester Uni who accrued the term financialization. See for instance

Financialization and Strategy: Narrative and Numbers Hardcover – 2 Feb 2006
by Julie Froud<https://www.amazon.co.uk/Julie-Froud/e/B00IVSEKDG/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1> (Author), Sukhdev Johal<https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=dp_byline_sr_book_2?ie=UTF8&text=Sukhdev+Johal&search-alias=books&field-author=Sukhdev+Johal&sort=relevancerank> (Author), Adam Leaver<https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=dp_byline_sr_book_3?ie=UTF8&text=Adam+Leaver&search-alias=books&field-author=Adam+Leaver&sort=relevancerank> (Author), Karel Williams<https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=dp_byline_sr_book_4?ie=UTF8&text=Karel+Williams&search-alias=books&field-author=Karel+Williams&sort=relevancerank> (Author)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Financialization-Strategy-Narrative-Julie-Froud/dp/0415334179

 A bit of a fuzzy term by the way - thye initially intended to capture the move into financial services of firms whose core capabilities lied elsewhere. For instance GM, GE or Ford making greater profitability of their financing arm than selling cars or equipment.

Here I am not trying to enter into a “first” debate. But following the work of Karel

https://www.research.manchester.ac.uk/portal/en/researchers/karel-williams(10448bbf-3c37-4ccd-9a2a-4b42b6837ef5)/publications.html

, Ismael Erturk, Judy Froud and others around the now defunct CRESC is a much reacher source of ideas than Lazonkic as far as financialization is concerned. I am also bothered that Bill’s article in the Business History Review:

Innovative Business Models and Varieties of Capitalism ...<https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/business-history-review/article/innovative-business-models-and-varieties-of-capitalism-financialization-of-the-us-corporation/F62FD24017F6FBD409CEC8DE8EAF9D93>
Business History Review, Volume 84, Issue 4 (2011)

 (which in a way is the basis for his claims to fame of financialization) does not really acknowledge the work of Williams et al. (when he had been working with them.. you can clearly see the difference in dates of the publications).

By the way, the no defunct CRESC left a blog and a publication outlet: Journal of Cultural Economy. They are happy to entertain out of the ordinary pieces  (and for full disclosure, I have authored on the blog and sit on the board of JCE):

http://www.charisma-network.net/finance/the-gay-tm-how-to-make-a-splash-with-cash-dispensers

My two satoshis
Bernardo
Bangor Uni (Wales)