[Themaintainers] readings for infrastructure course

Maggard, Alicia alicia_maggard at brown.edu
Mon Nov 20 09:54:18 EST 2017

Dear Ann,

This sounds like a fantastic course!  For the "Roads" part of the course,
you might use Chris Wells's "Fueling the Boom: Gasoline Taxes,
Invisibility, and the Growth of the American Highway Infrastructure,
1919-1956 <https://academic.oup.com/jah/article/99/1/72/854562>" from the
2012 *JAH* special issue on oil.  It does a lot in 10 pages!

Best,
Alicia

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 9:13 AM, Greene, Ann Norton <angreene at sas.upenn.edu>
wrote:

> Dear Maintainers,
> I am teaching a new course next semester about infrastructures and
> environments, intended as a special topics seminar, so it will be both
> introductory but with upper level students, and focused on research skills
> via several short projects.
> I could really use some recommendations on readings, especially essay
> length.  At the moment I am planning to do historical case studies (the
> course is called “Waters, Roads and Wires)
> and readings so far include Chris Jones’ _Routes of Power_ and Julie
> Cohn’s _The Grid_.  I have some railroad, energy and mass transit people in
> Philadelphia to draw on as outside speakers.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ann
>
> Ann N. Greene
> Associate Director for Undergraduate Studies & Assistant Professor (Adj.)
> Dept of History and Sociology of Science
> University of Pennsylvania
>
> Office Hours Fall 2017
> M 1-3 TW 10-11, TWR 2-4
>
> Author, _Horses at Work: Harnessing Power in Industrial America_
> (Harvard, 2008)

Advisory Council Fellow
McNeil Center for Early American Studies

Ph.D. Candidate in History
Brown University