[Themaintainers] readings for infrastructure course

Greene, Ann Norton angreene at sas.upenn.edu
Mon Nov 20 09:13:53 EST 2017

Dear Maintainers,
I am teaching a new course next semester about infrastructures and environments, intended as a special topics seminar, so it will be both introductory but with upper level students, and focused on research skills via several short projects.
I could really use some recommendations on readings, especially essay length.  At the moment I am planning to do historical case studies (the course is called “Waters, Roads and Wires)
and readings so far include Chris Jones’ _Routes of Power_ and Julie Cohn’s _The Grid_.  I have some railroad, energy and mass transit people in Philadelphia to draw on as outside speakers.

Thanks in advance,
Ann

Ann N. Greene
Associate Director for Undergraduate Studies & Assistant Professor (Adj.)
Dept of History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania

Office Hours Fall 2017
M 1-3 TW 10-11, TWR 2-4

Author, _Horses at Work: Harnessing Power in Industrial America_ (Harvard, 2008)