[Themaintainers] readings for infrastructure course

Camille E. Acey connect at camilleacey.com
Tue Nov 21 15:19:24 EST 2017

I'd love someone to throw this up on a website somewhere. the Resources
section of the Maintainers site looks a little bare ;)
http://themaintainers.org/resources/

On 2017-11-21 06:59, Andrew Russell wrote:

> [...]
> Rosner, D. K., & Ames, M. (2014). Designing for repair?: Infrastructures and materialities of breakdown. In _Proceedings of the 17th ACM conference on computer supported cooperative work & social computing_ (pp. 319-331).
>
> J.
>
> Le 20 nov. 2017 à 21:41, Lee Vinsel <lee.vinsel at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> Hi Everybody,
>
> This is a great thread. I haven't been able to read every post, but in case no one mentions it, I wanted to give a nod to this article by Ashley Carse:
>
> Carse, Ashley. "Nature as infrastructure: Making and managing the Panama Canal watershed." _Social Studies of Science_ 42, no. 4 (2012): 539-563.
>
> He has a book on the same topic, but if article-length pieces are what you are looking for, this is the place to go. I'm looking forward to teaching it in my Maintainers graduate seminar next semester, paired with David Biggs' Quagmire.
>
> Best,
>
> Lee
>
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 12:43 PM, Irani, Lilly <lirani at ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
> Fernando Dominguez Rubio, "Preserving the unpreservable: docile and unruly objects at MoMA"
> https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11186-014-9233-4 [1]
> puts questions of care and maintenance at the center of sociological/philosophical concerns about cultural categories, social order, and ontology
>
> My own piece looks at how Amazon Mechanical Turk formats some workers as distanced "infrastructure" so other workers can program and "innovate" more intensively (so labor as environment):
> https://read.dukeupress.edu/south-atlantic-quarterly/article-abstract/114/1/225/3763/Difference-and-Dependence-among-Digital-Workers?redirectedFrom=fulltext [2]
>
> On Nov 20, 2017, at 6:13 AM, Greene, Ann Norton <angreene at sas.upenn.edu> wrote:
>
> Dear Maintainers,
> I am teaching a new course next semester about infrastructures and environments, intended as a special topics seminar, so it will be both introductory but with upper level students, and focused on research skills via several short projects.
> I could really use some recommendations on readings, especially essay length. At the moment I am planning to do historical case studies (the course is called "Waters, Roads and Wires)
> and readings so far include Chris Jones' _Routes of Power_ and Julie Cohn's _The Grid_. I have some railroad, energy and mass transit people in Philadelphia to draw on as outside speakers.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ann
>
> Ann N. Greene
> Associate Director for Undergraduate Studies & Assistant Professor (Adj.)
> Dept of History and Sociology of Science
> University of Pennsylvania
>
> Office Hours Fall 2017
> M 1-3 TW 10-11, TWR 2-4
>
> Author, _Horses at Work: Harnessing Power in Industrial America_ (Harvard, 2008)

Assistant Professor
Department of Science and Technology in Society
Virginia Tech
leevinsel.com [4]
Twitter: @STS_News _______________________________________________

Camille E. Acey
 http://camilleacey.com [5]

_"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and
that is an act of political warfare." - _Audre Lorde

Links:
------
[1] https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11186-014-9233-4
[2]