[Themaintainers] readings for infrastructure course

Björn Wallsten bjorn.wallsten at liu.se
Wed Nov 22 04:49:33 EST 2017

So, I’ll throw in some cents in this thread too, recommendations from after having held a course on “sustainable transformations of infrastructures” last year:

John May’s provocative “Infrastructuralism: The Pathology of Negative Externalities” (it’s a great title), which argues that infrastructure’s solution to problems is always done by transferring them elsewhere (out of sight and/or out of mind). http://quaderns.coac.net/en/2011/09/262-may/

I also find Paul Edwards text “How fast can we transition to a low-carbon energy system” to be a good introduction, starting off as it does from the claim that “decarbonization is an infrastructure problem, the largest one humanity has ever faced”. http://bit.ly/1I6ouAQ

On the solutions side of things, I’ve also used shorter excerpts from Hillary Brown’s “Next Generation Infrastructures” in courses, which applies a design-oriented perspective on infrastructural transformations. https://islandpress.org/book/next-generation-infrastructure

Last, you could also throw in some of the “resource use”-aspect, which tends to be neglected in comparison to the climate change/energy use-oriented discussions when it comes to infrastructures. Here, Timothy LeCains “Mass Destruction” connects the early construction of electric grids in the US to the rise of large-scale, open pit copper mining: http://bit.ly/2zXAVjj, and there is also my own urban mining-stuff (sorry for the self-promotion) on “urks”, i.e. all of those bits and pieces of infrastructures that remain in the ground after having been taken out of use: http://bit.ly/2xlOiVa

//Björn Wallsten

• Pargman, D. and Wallsten, B. (2017) “Resource Scarcity and Socially Just Internet Access Over Time and Space” <http://bit.ly/2rPh67u> Proceedings of the 2017 Workshop on Computing Within Limits<http://acmlimits.org/2017/papers/limits17-pargman.pdf> 29-36.
• Krook, J. and Wallsten, B. (2017) “Syntesrapport från projektet Städer som gruvor – Tio huvudpunkter”. [in Swedish<http://liu.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1071310/FULLTEXT01.pdf>]
Björn WALLSTEN, Post doc researcher.
Department of Thematic Studies – Technology and Social Change
Linköping University
SE-581 83 Linköping
Phone: +46 (0) 1328 5625
Homepage: https://www.tema.liu.se/tema-t/medarbetare/wallsten-bjorn?l=en