[Themaintainers] One Laptop Per Child's $100 Laptop Was Going To Change The World — Then It All Went Wrong

Bastien bzg at bzg.fr
Tue May 1 08:36:25 EDT 2018

Dear Lee,

Lee Vinsel <lee.vinsel at gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks so much for these fascinating stories and examples. I agree
> that OPLC would make a great study, especially if it got into these
> implementation issues, including maintenance, and especially if it
> looked at different places in the world. Could make a great book or
> dissertation . . .

Indeed!  One problem is that the student would need to travel for at
least one year to gather all the material...

Note that the international dimension of OLPC communities is also
something that is often--and quite understandably--easily ignored.
OLPC headquarters had a hard time keeping up with all the activities
of various OLPC grassroots and OLPC grassroots tried to keep up with
each other, but with variable success.

For example in 2009, OLPC France organized a SugarCamp to let people
from OLPC/Sugar and free software hackers exchange ideas and code:

  https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xct0lp

Then in 2011, OLPCers and people from OLPC Grassroots met again in
Uruguay to see what had been done there.

Yet another example of under-the-radar "cultural" effect of OLPC:
in 2009, a peruvian teacher wrote a handbook for her pupils.

Then the OLPC community translated it into english...
http://wiki.laptop.org/images/3/3b/Sdenka_Salas_-_The_XO_Laptop_in_the_Classroom.pdf

... and we translated it into french:
https://olpc-france.org/docs/L_Ordinateur_XO_dans_la_classe_Finale.pdf

Now this single PDF made by a teacher in Peru is the source of ideas
for numerous teachers using OLPC- and Sugar-inspired activities in the
classroom... in France.  Not a butterfly effect, but still interesting
:)

--
 Bastien