[Themaintainers] Into the Raging Sea

Camille E. Acey connect at camilleacey.com
Fri May 25 13:26:17 EDT 2018

"Some would argue that America’s prison problem is very much a design problem."
As a prison abolitionist (who used to be a TA at San Quentin), that article was a tough read for me. There is a growing movement for design justice; so the argument that those concerns are out of scope for "average" designers is way off base. There should be no higher concern. Yeesh.

Camille E. Acey
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and that is an act of political warfare." - Audre Lorde
-------- Original message --------From: Hugh Lester <lesterh at urbahn.com> Date: 5/25/18  10:26 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: Steven Lubar <steven_lubar at brown.edu>, themaintainers at lists.stevens.edu Subject: Re: [Themaintainers] Into the Raging Sea

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/is-there-such-a-thing-as-good-prison-design

An article by the same author that addresses the core of my work as a design professional, and to some extent as an academic as well.

Unfortunately, I take umbrage with almost every element of the article, as well as the tone of the article. The section that forefronts ADPSR and Raphael Sperry really gets my goat. [Sorry this is a little off topic for this forum.]

In any case, her book sounds https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=haPNsVOwHJs amazing.

Hugh

714-234-5374 mobile