[Themaintainers] CFP Designing Feminist Action @ DIS 2019 San Diego

stephaniebeth at protonmail.com stephaniebeth at protonmail.com
Sun Apr 14 10:50:43 EDT 2019

Hi all,

We are pleased to announce a new workshop Designing Feminist Action: At the Intersection of Culture and Method at the upcoming Designing Interactive Systems (DIS2019) conference June 23rd to 28th in San Diego. Please read a short description below. More details can be found on the website - https://cultureandmethoddis2019.wordpress.com/.

This one-day workshop will explore the use of design research and computing practice in resisting and reifying inequalities. We invite participants to share how we do, and how we might, bring our feminist ideals to bear upon the kinds of work that we perform (methods) and upon the forms of interaction that we participate in (culture). This workshop centers on three driving orientations of feminist design research:

How do we translate feminist perspectives from scholarly discourse into practical action?

How do we revise existing methods to align with our feminist values and beliefs?

How do we intervene in the prevailing culture to identify and change attitudes, behaviors, and practices that work against equity and inclusiveness?

We invite researchers/scholars, community members, artists, and others interested in participating to submit a brief position paper, design provocation, case study (approximately 500 words in a format of your choosing), or a video contribution (max. 5 minutes) that describes a situation in which you have either attempted OR would like to attempt the translation of feminist perspectives from scholarly discourse into some form of action. For instance, your paper could:

Consider actual or imagined revision to existing research or pedagogical methods

Reflect on actual or imagined intervention in prevailing cultures

Important dates to note for this workshop: -

April 22: Proposal Deadline

June 24th:  Workshop at ACM DIS 2019 (San Diego)

Submissions or questions/queries can be sent to cultureandmethoddis2019 at gmail.com

We look forward to your proposals and hope for a wide participation of scholars, researchers and practitioners committed to feminist action and design. Please do forward this call to other listservs or folks who you think will be interested.

Thanks,

Organizers (Melanie Feinberg, Sarah Fox, Jean Hardy, Stephanie Steinhardt and Palashi Vaghela)