[Themaintainers] VIRTUAL ROUNDTABLES (Aug & Sept): Maintainers in the Workforce

Jessica Meyerson jessica at educopia.org
Tue Aug 6 14:17:40 EDT 2019

Dear Fellow Maintainers,

Maintainers in the Workforce would like to invite you all to register for
two virtual roundtables in late August and September -- the roundtables
will shed light on workforce trends and explore different ways that
maintenance work is measured and compensated.

Virtual roundtables are *FREE to attend, open to all, and will be
recorded**/made
available online* after each event. However, there is a cap of 100 live
participants for each roundtable based on the current limits of our web
conferencing platform - so we ask that you register.

REGISTER HERE:  http://bit.ly/mitw-virtual-roundtables-2019

ROUNDTABLE #1: Measuring Maintenance
August 27 @ 8amPT/10amCT/11amET

Through an alternative set of measurements to quantify the cost of a basic
household budget, the ALICE team is able to demonstrate how many households
are currently Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed - which happens
to be a staggering proportion of people in the United States. Using many of
the same data sources and methods, we can also better understand how
compensation is distributed among maintenance occupations, in contrast to
occupations that are considered “innovative.” In this virtual roundtable,
Stephanie Hoopes and Dan Treglia (United Way - ALICE) will lead a
discussion on the relationship between measurement and maintenance.

ROUNDTABLE #2: Future of Work
September 24 @ 10amPT/12pmCT/1pmET

In the last few years, both popular and academic outlets have been paying
renewed attention to the relationship between technology and work. Often
framed through the so-called “future of work,” questions focus on how
technological change shapes organizational change and whether new
technologies will lead to unemployment and depressed wages. In this virtual
roundtable, Patrick McCray (UC Santa Barbara) and Lee Vinsel (Virginia
Tech, The Maintainers)  will lead a discussion on how Science and
Technology Studies (STS) and related fields can shed new light on these
topics.

Sharing your experience and perspective is critical to building community.

We earnestly hope you will join the discussion.

We look forward to talking to you soon.

Yours in Maintenance,
Jessica Meyerson

--