[Themaintainers] Why Do People Neglect Maintenance?

Ishi Crew mediaentropy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 04:13:13 EDT 2019

I think of farming and food production (my grandparents were small or
family farmers though they actually had or used huge tracts of land because
few people lived in that area--north dakota) and i knew people who lived
partly by hunting , gathering and gardening in WV.  At one time a large
fraction of US population was involved in farming--like 50%. Now they say
its just 3% (though there is a much larger population).  However you have a
huge supply chain for food---trucking, road maintenance for all these
trucks, energy industry for transport, processing food (sometimes into junk
or conveniance food, bottled water, coca cola, plastic, huge stores with
cleaning , stocking , clerks and security personnel and more) .

So the 3% figure which makes things seem simpler, like GIS, involves
another kind of complexity. I used to have order paper topographic maps for
my hiking trips---now i can get them on my smart phone in like 5 minutes
(if i can remember the websites)--very simple.   But making a smart phone
and websites is complex.  And even having a smartphone makes my life more
complex---have to learn how to use it, and not lose or break it, or have it
stolen.